Bamboo and Earth Youth Center, Cambodia
An alchemy of bamboo and earthen building
Read an article featuring this project ” Bringing Back Bamboo” from the South East Asian Globe
The project is constructed as an integrated structure with Bamboo as both structural and decorative members for several walls and the main roof structure. Locally manufactured Compressed Earth Blocks and recycled Bottle walls act as the infill for a reinforced concrete frame.
The Natural Builders:
– Identified local species of bamboo and specified use based on the Komitu team surveys.
– Outlined a treatment process while assisting in creation of a training manual for site workers.
– Reviewed structural designs to address assembly and structural optimization.
– Performed material quality control tests on the Bamboo and other materials.
– Facilitated workshops to train workers in modern approaches to Bamboo construction, Earthen and other related natural building techniques.
– Offered regular consultancy to aid the projects efficient completion.
The center had its “Soft opening” in late 2013 and expects to be running fully in early 2014.
To find out more about the Architects or the project and benefactor community, visit the Komitu Bog here.